Harsh? Maybe. True? Absolutely. As Cady says in Mean Girls (have we mentioned we also have a girl crush on Tina Fey? Maureen met her earlier this year and completely froze up but that’s a story for another day), “In Girl World, Halloween is the one night a year when girls can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it.”
Personally, we liked Cady’s punning approach of dressing up as an “ex-wife.”
However, it seems the majority of female Halloween celebrators take the Plastics’ route of putting on lingerie and pair of ears and calling it a costume.
“I’m a mouse – duh.”
So this year we say ladies with dignity, let’s take back Halloween! No, we don’t all need to run out and buy (non-sexy) nun costumes before they sell out – as in every day dressing, it is possible to look good without looking cheap. Here are a few tips to keep in mind when picking out your costume this year.
1. If the costume’s title has “sexy” in it, you’re treading on dangerous ground. We realize that not all sexy costumes are created equal; there is definitely a scale in place ranging from “acceptable” to “only behind closed doors.” For instance, take a look at this progression of Sexy Sailor costumes:
2. Thinking about being a Playboy bunny? Please don’t. The show was canceled after 3 episodes for a reason.
3. If your place of employment hosts a Halloween party, don’t be “that girl.” Sexiness doesn’t belong in the workplace. If you have to be Naughty Nemo, do it where you aren’t going to be partying with your boss. The best on-the-job costumes are funny, clever, silly, or scrappy. Examples:
Holy Cow! Get it??
A few years ago a group of us dressed as our childhood selves. We went to our parents’ houses and dug around for old artifacts. Maureen brought her Cabbage Patch Doll Melanie and a Walkman with her Lion King tape. Here, Heather had her info filled out on her bus card so she wouldn’t get lost.
Dan threw together a costume just minutes before the party started using only office supplies. The result: a California roll.
4. For all the men out there: don’t do this. Or anything remotely resembling either of these.
5. Finally, always remember that when it comes to skirts and dresses, tights and leggings are your friend. And we’re not talking about thigh-highs here.